Friday, February 13, 2009

You thought rappers created freestyling?




Check these llaneros going at it. Kool Moe Dee and Busy Bee, Jay Z and Nas got nothing on these guys. Musica llanera literally means plains music for those of you who are Spanish deficient. The music employs a harp, guitar, and maracas to tell the tales of the llaneros (basically the cowboys of Colombia and Venezuela). This video highlights the contrapunteo, which is a freestyle battle between 2 copleros (singers of sonnets). Notice how the one that follows the other takes the last line from the other one to start off his flow. All this is off the dome! They diss each other, they boast, all in good fun and great music.

I love musica llanera. The first time I heard it I felt an instrinsic connection to it. Turns out my sister told me that my grandfather on my dad's side lives in los llanos. I am dying to head out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment