Sunday, February 8, 2009

The most gangster song EVER




Seriously, picking my favorite Fania All Stars song of all time is like asking a mother to pick her favorite child. Impossible. "El Raton" may not be the dopest song to dance to because it's kinda of a slow burner, but it might be the coolest song ever recorded. Ever. This youtube version doesn't do it justice, but it will give you a little taste. Get the version off the CD to get the full madness.

El judio maravilloso Larry Harlow is on piano. This mensch must have some grandfather from Ponce or something because he feels it. He's more Puerto Rican than a couple of people I know. If you don't believe me, check out his album "Salsa." IMO, this is the quintessential salsa album, he freaking named it Salsa. Que cojonudo, pero con todo su derecho. That's how confident this cat was.

Bobby Valentin on bass. People talk about Jaco Pastorious and Flea blah blah blah. Bobby Valentin kicks both their asses. Peep his album "Rompecabezas" to hear why. I had a vinyl of it, and I fucking lost that bad boy. (if anyone's got it on MP3, let me know).
"Rompecabezas" is my second favorite Fania album, and that's because I haven't heard it in a while. Once I get my hands on it again, it might go to number 1.

Orestes Vilato on timbales. Another great musician. Of course, Ray Barreto on congas and Robertito Roena on cowbell ("Ponte Duro" is one of my favorite Fania songs. Roena's bongo solo on there is sick. He had an album with an illustrated cover that was Amazing. Can't remember the name, it's crazy early. If i remember it, i'll let you know. Every time I see someone with one of those corny "More Cowbell" T shirts, I feel like slapping them. but I digress yet again.)

Mira ese coro. Ismael Miranda, otro que se me le olvida el nombre porque esta temprano y no me he tomado el cafe, Hector Lavoe, and Santitos Colon. No pressure, Cheo.

Cheo Feliciano, my second favorite Fania vocalist right next to my numero uno Pete "El Conde" Rodriguez. His voice is silk, period.

Anyone know what happened to George Santana, Carlos' brother? He straight kills this song with his guitar solo. "Oye como va" got NOTHING on this. And when the coro impels him with "Eh, Santana," it feels like the gods are talking to me for some reason. The universe has aligned with planet rock, planet bugaloo, planet and the Fania all star systems.

1 comment: